I have a major sweet tooth. Somehow I have escaped cavities, diabetes and obesity. So obviously God is ok with me consuming more than the average amount of sugar. Thank you Lord. I will also say that being a Peace Corps Volunteer has helped curb my sugar appetite because I don't get a whole lot of sweets out here (only when my awesome mama sends them my way :)).
Another reason why my sugar appetite has subsided is because it is virtually impossible to find good-tasting sweets in Panama. I have milled over this for many hours and have yet to come up with an excuse. For me, this inferior taste ends the game. No matter how pretty, fluffy, moist and delicious it looks, I know without a doubt that I'm going to be disappointed with the taste. So I don't even build myself up anymore.
But what could the missing ingredient be, seriously? It's like eating sugary air to me. The problem isn't that it doesn't have enough sugar. It's like it's missing depth, substance. It doesn't fill your mouth with the deliciousness of normal sweets. Is this description making any sense at all?
But this also makes me ask myself, what in the heck do they put in the sweets in the U.S.? You know, the box cake mixes, brownies, cookies, puddings, etc. In the bakeries and sweet shops. Is it the chemicals and unnatural substances that make our sweets so delicious?
Or have I been conditioned to the sweets that I grew up eating and now other varieties just don't taste as good? Maybe it's all mental.
I finally gave up the search and accepted the facts for what they were. And that is the story of how I lost my sweet tooth.
No comments:
Post a Comment